Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What to do with leftover chicken

I have a small store of "more than the sum of their parts" recipes. This one comes from a cookbook published by the Heifer Project (warning, pop-up alert), an unusual charitable organization that literally buys livestock for people in developing countries. However, it's pretty easy to find it on the web. One reason I like this recipe so much is because it is a way for me to eat raw cabbage that I actually like. I've only once found a cole slaw I could stand. (That reminds me, I should write to my cousin Diane about that!). Of course, you can find variations of this recipe all over the internet. This particular version is from Cooks.com.

TOP RAMEN CHICKEN SALAD
2 pkgs. Top Ramen chicken flavored noodles

3 chicken breasts, cooked

1/2 head shredded cabbage

3 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

3 tbsp. toasted sliced almonds

3 tbsp. sugar

3 tbsp. lemon juice

6 tbsp. oil

1 tsp. Accent

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1/2 c. each red, green, yellow sweet peppers

1 sm. can sliced water chestnuts, drain

1/2 c. chopped green onions, tops too
Remove soup packets and set aside. Crunch up dry noodles and place in large bowl. Add cabbage, peppers, onions, water chestnuts and chicken (chopped). Mix in another small bowl sugar, lemon juice, oil, accent, salt and pepper and contents of the two small soup packets. Mix well. Add sesame seeds and pour dressing over all. Mix thoroughly and cover.

Let it set for 24 to 36 hours before serving, tossing it several times. Scatter toasted almonds on top before serving. Do not cook noodles. You can vary this salad by using shrimp flavored soup and putting in baby shrimp, or omit meat and serve vegetarian. Serves: 10 to 12.


The version I am used to omits the peppers, but why not use them if you have them? (Except for the icky, unripe, green peppers.) For lemon juice, I substitute rice vinegar, and for sugar, hoisin sauce. I use white pepper instead of black when I have it. As for the Accent, I guess we all know that is MSG. Not sure that is as bad as it's painted, given all the fuss about Umami these days, but in any event I'd be surprised if it weren't already in the Top Ramen spice packet.

No comments: