So I do a little research on what is likely to be at the market and head down there about 9:30 Saturday morning. I end up with:
3 tangerines
2 oranges
2 baskets of strawberries
I try to hold back on fruit because I've still got a bunch of geriatric granny smith apples lazing around the kitchen.
Veggies:
1 bunch asparagus
1 small bag of mixed new potatoes
1 bunch dill
1 bunch lemon grass
1 head cauliflower
2 broccoli crowns
2 huge artichokes for $1.50 each, possibly my best coup.
Total expenditure about $25.
I'm going to get the mp3 player and go prep the produce next (listening to the Unbearable Lightness of Scones by Alexander McCall Smith), but just for now, kicking around some ideas for what to do with the swag.
Asparagus: I can use this at least twice, one serving maybe to be steamed (en papillote?) with a halibut filet I have thawing in the fridge; this will be flavored with ginger, sesame oil, rice wine, spring onions, for a vaguely oriental effect. Brown basmati rice will accompany this for my dinner tonight.
I'd like to use a funky recipe of Alton Brown's for some of the cauliflower and all the broccoli, which will leave me with half a head of cauliflower to bake or make soup of.
Not sure I'd've let myself be tempted by the potatoes, but with the dill being available, I felt I had to. We'll see what I find. The lemon grass makes me want to make some kind of Thai chicken soup; will have to go get one of my staples, frozen boneless chicken thighs, for that. I've got coconut milk and straw mushrooms in the pantry, and kaffir lime leaves vacuum packed in the freezer. Maybe some salmon, if it's not already in the freezer, to go with some of the dill, as well. Artichokes...hmm, big questions is will I take the time to do a hollandaise or just pick up some low fat mayo at TJ's?
Just thoughts for now, time to go prep, then do some paying work. I'll post back when the plan comes together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment