Finished up the soy chorizo I bought at Trader Joe's last week; had it in my eggs. It's surprisingly not too bad but I doubt I'll be buying it again.
A much more interesting vegetarian item is this recipe for vegetable stock "base" found on another food blog, crediting in turn a book by Pam Corbin. Heidi Swanson's blog has a lot of nice lentil recipes; tempted to try the red lentil one.
Having a lazy day today--was not in the plan, but I did work really hard yesterday, so I guess it's okay. Something about a snoozing cat on your legs. Will roast the chicken for dinner and then pack some of it for the freezer. All the stuff I am making, actually, will go at least partly in the freezer, as I'm spending the (long) weekend at a meeting in Reno. This also means I'll have to prep and do something with next week's box, which per the email I received Friday will contain:
carrots
baby spinach
fresh onions
green garlic
sweet potatoes
asparagus
strawberries
dried peaches
French Breakfast radishes
chard
rosemary
Fava beans OR sugar snap peas
I'm looking forward to the sweet potatoes and the rosemary. Guess the spinach and chard will just need to be sauteed and stuck in the freezer; everything else should keep okay in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Per Eatwell's newsletter they are having a hard time with the rain, which is having a particularly brutal effect on the strawberries. I've eaten up this week's already, mixing them with some kiwis I found at Porter's market, along with slightly sweetened Greek yogurt. Yum. Also finally squeezed a bag of limes and 4 Meyer lemons and froze them in ice cube trays yesterday--I'll move them into ziplocs then.
Since I struck out on the organic bacon, guess I will use the salt pork I bought a couple weeks ago instead--vagulely thinking of some kind of bean soup when I bought it. Might as well use it up in the dandelion dish; might need to be parboiled first if too salty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment